Monday, September 08, 2008

$.88 a share???

The news isn't good at FM. I am SOOOOO glad I'm not there anymore! And with the government taking over I wouldn't touch that stock with someone else's money. I guess the guys up top brought in to fix the first mess turned out to be worse than the guys who created the mess in the first place. Or maybe the place is just falling apart without me. HA.

So, Friday was a bad bad bad day at work. I let the kids' behavior get to me and found myself telling them that I had had it with them, that I was glad it was a weekend because I needed a break and that they'd better put their heads on their tables because I needed a time out. Over the weekend I re-wrote the discipline plan and this morning their mouths hung open as I informed them of their new, and more strict, consequences. Regardless, there were quite a few in-class "time outs," several kids went to the Responsibility Center (where they discuss their actions, make a plan/contract for better behavior, and have to tell their parents what they did), and one ended up in a time out in the office - AFTER she had already had a warning, a time out in class AND a trip to the Responsibility Center. It was really fun calling the parents again today. Real fun. I had called all three parents on Friday too.

But the rest of the kids? They kept their mouths shut. It was nice. Devil Whoever said "don't get mad, get even" must have been a teacher.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some days just suck.

Could be worse -- could be back at Freddie.

Unknown said...

"Responsibility Center"???

How "new age" and "touchy-feely".

Tins and Treasures said...

I love this...your devil horns and all!! We have behavior contracts in high school...perhaps if someone had started them in elementary here, we wouldn't need them anymore in high school!
Keep up the good work.

Grumperini said...

The Responsibility Center may be "touchy-feely" but it accomplishes two things. First, the idea of going scares the bejesus out of the kids so they usually snap-to to avoid it. And second, the best part, I don't have to deal with them when they go. The issue has been escalated and there's a record of their misbehavior. It works for me! :) I bet I have fewer to go today! :)

We also have behavior contracts... the first level is a general, signed agreement to abide by the class rules and consequence schedule. The second level is for those who are consistently getting into problems. Theirs is a stricter, more formal contract which involves a meeting between parents, student, teacher and principal. I hope we don't have to go there, but...