Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Organic isn't always better

I shopped at Whole Foods the other day. I was so excited to go because I hadn't been to one since I left VA. I strolled up and down the aisles, admiring the jars of fancy this and cans of obscure that. I filled my basket with multi-grain, freshly baked bread, organic chili, organic sour cream, cheese curds (cheese curds!), two bags of chips (because sweet potato chips sounded interesting and so did carrot chips), canola oil mayo, and a yummy salad from the salad bar.

Several thoughts. One. Holy SHIT is Whole Foods expensive! Was it always this expensive? Was I just so unconcerned about disposable income that I never noticed how expensive it was?? Thank goodness it isn't close enough to home to go all that often. Maybe only once in a while when I'm in the mood to spend my car payment on a salad. (I don't really have a car payment, I'm just sayin.)

Two. I'm not an organic freak. I don't go out of my way to buy organic, and when it's available I don't usually go for it. But Whole Foods is nothing but. I had no choice but to buy organic or put the basket down, walk away, and start over somewhere else. Which wasn't going to happen. Anyhow, I don't do organic. I also don't do fat free. Or even low fat. But I digress. Organic. The canola mayo - it's actually pretty good. The organic chili and sour cream? YUCK. The chili is tasteless - like fat free stuff - and the sour cream has a funny taste, which is ironic because it is sour cream. I am disappointed. And back in the day I would have thrown out the sour cream and gotten rid of the chili. But now? I had to suck it up and eat it. (Bad choice of words there.)

Three. Um. I LOVE that salad bar. However, I can't afford or eat a 1lb salad anymore. Sucks.

Four. Cheese curds! They didn't squeak, but they were delicious and it was nice to go down memory lane a little bit.

Ok, so I was going to talk about the weather next, but I figured if I complained about the mid 50's to mid 60's cold and rainy snap we're having I'd be driven out of VA by pitchfork the next time I was in town.

No comments: