Friday, September 19, 2008

Yet another word I can't say in the classroom

Ok, so "god" is a forbidden word. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't say "jesus." At least not in the way I usually do. So that means "jesus mary and joseph" is out too. All those years of Catholic upbringing and CCD right out the window. And my years since then? I'd better not say the bible isn't literal, that Jesus wasn't the son of god in a different way than any of us are, and that the resurrection was a spiritual resurrection and not an actual one... I can't be political (which I'm not anyway anyhow... except when the person I'm talking to is Republican). I can't burn a flag (not that I would anyhow... that's too political and too much of a bother); I'm not supposed to have bumper stickers that espouse any affiliation of any kind (I am NOT taking off the Obama one though, I'm NOT, and I'm thinking of sneaking one of Sister's on there, but that would really do it. I wonder if any of my old Grateful Dead stickers would raise some eyebrows?); I'm supposed to say the pledge of allegiance (I actually told them to just sit down today - sorry, sick of hearing it); and, oh what else? Ugh. I'm a freakin' stepford teacher. Oops, I said "freakin."

So the other day I told this kid to put his crap away. I said "crap." Apparently that's a bad word too. God damn it, I'm fucking screwed. Devil

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Face the facts.

You are the spokesperson of the government. It is a government school. You say what the government says you can say. What's wrong with that?

Grumperini said...

1. I am not the spokesperson of the government.

2. It is a public school. It is governed by a board, but not by the government.

3. I can say what I damned well want to say. However, I don't nor wouldn't tell my students or anyone what they should or should not believe.

4. The government cannot tell me what to say. EVERYTHING would be wrong with that.

5. Ever heard of sarcasm, satire or irony?

Anonymous said...

1. But you work for the government.

2. "Public" schools are government schools. They are funded by the taxpayers. Only the government taxes us.

3. Whatever you say, say nothing!

4. Of course it can.

5. Of course, I read your blog, don't I?

Grumperini said...

Why do you?