WHERE I’M FROM
I am from climbing trees and bending spoons,
From flying clotheslines and mercurochrome.
I am from Charlie’s Angels, Walter Cronkite and M.A.S.H before reruns.
I am from giant leaps for mankind,
From Beatles, Rolling Stones, Santana and Led Zeppelin.
I’m a little bit country and a little bit rock and roll.
I’m from I got you babe and goodnight John Boy.
I am from Raggedy Ann and Topogigio.
I’m from orange double doors, Abbey Road, Las Colinas and Ave. des Arpillieres.
I’m from hola, bonjour, and hello.
From qué onda and what’s up,
From ustedes and youse guys.
I am from Philadelphia and Monterrey,
From Alps, Rockies and Chipinque,
And I’m from Atlantic, Pacific, Mediterranean and Caribbean waters.
I am from French doors leading into the garden from Charlie
into an unknown future.
I’m from waffles on Christmas morning
and grilled salmon on Easter.
I’m from tacos, picadillo and guacamole
and I’m from cheese steaks and hamburgers.
From tú y nada son dos nadas
to get the thing by the thing on top of the thing.
I carry coins for my bindings and wave banderitas.
I’m from Charcole, from Beauty, Bella, and Bonnie,
From Panda, Sugar and Maggie.
I’m from rolls and coffee and midnight homework.
I’m from secret hand signs and bathtub scorpions.
And I’m all about Jack and Lily.
I have pictures in boxes and old home movies
of silver Christmas trees and Los Pilletes.
And I have mirrors that reflect the truth
About lost love and new found peace.
I am from a mix of two cultures, passionately collided.
From strawberry blondes and morenas
And I’ll always wish my skin was that beautiful brown café con leche.
I am St John de Villarreal. I am me.
11 comments:
Babes, I am speechless. Fantastic! Your mother says to tell you she almost lost it as I read it to her aloud. I almost did too.
Never stop taking time to write.
Love,
Thanks. :) The bad thing about writing (and re-writing) is that no matter how done you think a piece is, there is so much more you could have written, so much stuff left out. But what you read here is the final I turned in and read to the class.
I love it!
wow
Thanks guys!! I REALLY appreciate that. This was a class assignment, and all of us wrote one. It's designed to "build community" in the classroom - something we can do with our future students to get to know each other - and I have to say it really works. Lots of warm fuzzy happening in class yesterday after we read them out loud!
Wow. That was fantastic.
Did you have to explain any of the references to your class? IE. coins for your bindings?
Nope! :) It's all part of the charm of the poem that you don't understand all the references, yet you can relate in many ways.
Can't believe you left out rolls and coffee...
I didn't. Read it again. Doofus.
Oh yeah - Never Mind! Nice...
Can't belive you left out It's a Heartache!!!!!
Just Kidding prima!!!! I felt it prima.. Im proud of you and you know it!!!!
I can't wait to see you!!!!
Somos locas, Somos locas
Post a Comment